Lei-Out is returning to Huntington Beach! It’s back on MLK weekend! And we’re still planning for the same big, epic party we had in 2019!
What’s new for 2022?
So much! Here are the big ones and there will be plenty more revealed along the way.
- All divisions except the most competitive will be 4v4 for the first time in 19 years!
- This means fields will be smaller as well: 53yd long including two 8yd endzones by 25yd wide.
- For all 4v4 divisions the gender ratio is 2:2. For the only 5v5 division it alternates 2-3/3-2 utilizing WFDF’s Rule A.
- The most competitive division will remain 5v5 to allow WBUC 2022 players to get valuable experience prior to the World Championships.
- All 4v4 divisions will have two-pointers!
- Option 1: Endzone to opposite endzone cross-gender completions
- Option 2: Callahans (defense catches it in the offensive team’s endzone)
- A Saturday bye: seeing all of your friends on different fields or in different divisions is just too fun to pass up, plus maybe a proper hydration and shade break is in order
What are LeiOut 2022’s COVID requirements and protocols?
We have a COVID-19 Health Advisory Committee that is continually monitoring the Coronavirus situation and providing further guidance to ensure LeiOut 2022 is operated in the safest manner possible.
- We are requiring all participants to have been fully vaccinated by December 31, 2021. Proof thereof must be uploaded at registration, no later than January 1, 2022. If you are not currently vaccinated that means you need to start the process early in order to be allowed on-site by LeiOut 2022, see the important dates table. There are no medical or religious exemptions permitted for this year’s event as we are prioritizing the health and safety of our community and the general public.
- If you register (including your proof of vaccination upload) after December 13, 2021 you will individually have to collect your event pass at HQ before heading out onto the fields to find your team. Please avoid this if you can and register early! Nobody will be allowed to hang around or on LeiOut 2022 fields or the Saturday night party venue without an event pass on their person, including children.
- If you have experienced any COVID symptoms or had a direct indoor exposure (15+ minutes in the same room) within 10 days of the event please stay home.
- If you discover any of your teammates are positive on January 14th or later we ask that you alert the TD and have your entire team immediately leave the beach to quarantine back in your accommodations. This is too large of an event to risk transmission.
- We will be adhering to or surpassing all National, state and local COVID-19 guidelines; as such, please ensure you have a mask on your person at all times. California currently mandates masks be worn whenever indoors, but it’s important we all be prepared for any last-minute shifts in guidelines and protocols. Thank you in advance for doing your part to keep LeiOut 2022 and the general public safe.
What do I do if I don’t have a team? What does signing up as a “free agent” mean?
If you don’t have a team you can sign up as a “free agent.” Our staff will approach teams with smaller rosters to see if they need some fun reinforcements and then will assign free agents as needed. Additionally, if there are enough free agents signed up by December 1, 2021 we will start creating free agent teams of 10-12 players. You will be alerted if you’re added to an existing team, added to a free agent team, or if you aren’t added to a team by December 2 so that you can adjust any travel plans or stay registered and roll the dice that a team will need players in the last 4 weeks before rosters are set. On January 2, 2022 if you haven’t been placed on a team we will issue your refund minus an administrative fee.
Why did you increase registration?
We’re increasing the player fee for a few reasons:
- LAOUT & SCYU are looking to accelerate Ultimate’s growth in Los Angeles. With your continued support LAOUT & SCYU expect to make their first full-time hire by the end of 2023 with the immediate goal of increasing the number of school Ultimate teams by 500% in five years.
- New fun experiences that we know you’re going to love.
- Covering the increasing costs of running a very large event (COVID safety measures, trainers, shuttles, etc).
- Our event team can be rewarded and not burn out during the hundreds of hours dedicated to making the event even more fun for you.
Do LeiOut and its organizers support the local ultimate community?
Yes! LeiOut is owned and run by the local adult organization LAOUT which is a partner with the local youth organization SCYU. The LeiOut team includes Board members from both orgs and provides stipends for key organizers for all of their hard work.
Will there be a LeiOut party?
We are planning to have a casual Friday night opening party and an epic Saturday night party, but we have multiple contingency plans based on the state of COVID-19. If our Health Advisory Committee deems it safe we’ll be returning to Legacy Nightclub & Lounge where we’ve budgeted even more resources to prioritize safety. Party or no we are planning for plenty of music and dancing all weekend long. We promise to keep you in the loop!
What are satellite HQs?
For a tournament of LeiOut’s size, one HQ simply isn’t enough. Our satellite HQs offer more teams the same amenities that the main HQ does without the long walk. We want all of you to have accessible water, food, and medical attention.
What is LeiOut doing about environmental sustainability?
Our goal is to use what we have learned over the last two years and expand on our efforts. We will continue to focus on food, waste, and sustainable sponsorships as the clearest path towards making LeiOut more environmentally friendly. Remember that a sustainable event relies on both participants and staff making conscious decisions.
How do I make changes to my team’s roster?
Instructions on how to log in and make changes to your team roster will be included as part of the team registration confirmation email. If you are experiencing technical issues, please contact us.
My captain has prepaid for me, do I still need to register?
Yes! All individual players must complete the individual player registration process in order to complete the online waivers and provide proof of vaccination before being eligible to play. We will not have paper waiver copies nor will we allow any proof of vaccination to be presented at the beach day-of. With our new COVID requirements you must have everything completed online by January 1, 2022.
What is the refund policy?
Team refunds are available until December 1, 2021 minus a $100 admin fee. Additional individual refunds are available until January 1, 2022 minus a $25 admin fee; we cannot offer refunds to anyone thereafter. Should COVID (or another act of god) rear its ugly head in some new variant that vaccines do not work against or should something prompt local, state, and/or national authorities to ban large outdoor gatherings, we’ll refund all fees less nonrefundable expenses.
If you have other questions you’d like answered, please feel free to ask me & the team to include your question in this FAQ page.